Just 8km east of Melbourne’s Central Business District, Kew East is in the City of Boroondara. Historically there were a number of farming properties established along the Yarra River. The Wills family established “Willsmere Estate,” a grazing and dairying property, the name now reflected in “Willsmere Road” and “Willsmere Park”. William Wade established a farm next door to the Wills family naming it “Belford,” but in December 1863 it flooded and later became the Kew Golf Course. The main shopping strip, Harp Village is located on High Street, near the intersection of Harp Road. The suburbs surrounding Kew East are: Ivanhoe, Ivanhoe East, Alphington, Kew, Balwyn, Balwyn North and Bulleen.
From farming to modern living.